This raw chocolate avocado mousse tart is rich, creamy, gluten-free and vegan!
I think I may have largely contributed to the current avocado shortage in Australia.
Or maybe avocados have largely contributed to the current money shortage in my wallet.
Either way, they are still a staple in my weekly shopping basket (even at $3.50 each!!) because not only are they delicious, but latest research says they help to lower cholesterol!
I’m always trying to fool my husband by whipping up healthy treats that look and taste as unhealthy as possible as it’s the only way he’ll try them, and when I was looking at avocado recipes from the I Quit Sugar team, their avocado and chocolate mousse reminded me of my recipe for avocado chocolate mousse tart, which is raw, gluten-free and vegan!
If you’re after something creamy, rich and chocolate-y, then this is for you.
When I was a kid nothing beat KFC’s chocolate mousse as a treat, but I’m telling you this will give Colonal Sanders a run for his money and it’s about a million times better for you.
It’s not quite as sweet my raw, salted caramel peanut butter slice, but it’s easier to make and everyone that I’ve served it to can’t believe it’s made of avocado!
Here’s the recipe:
Raw Avocado Chocolate Mousse Tart
- base from raw salted caramel peanut butter slice
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pulse ingredients for base in a vitamix, blender or food processor until it’s crumbly and sticks together. Press into tart tin and place in freezer while you make the mousse.
- Blend ingredients for mousse at high speed and spread on top of base. Place into fridge for at least an hour until chilled.
To serve, cut into slices and serve cold.
Leftovers (what’s that?) keep well in the freezer too!