This homemade Nutella is vegan, gluten and guilt-free!
That velvety, nutty, chocolatey spread that brings back childhood memories of being six years old in primary school and being insanely jealous of all the other kid’s lunches consisting of a Nutella sandwich or a single-serve Nutella packet with spatula for a morning tea, neither of which I was ever allowed.
Fast forward to the present and Nutella has made a comeback! It’s almost impossible to walk past a Doughnut Time and not pick up their Nutella-filled Love at First Bite doughnut that comes sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.
Don’t mind a bit of doughnut with your Nutella?
Let’s be honest, we could probably skip the doughnut altogether and just go straight for the Nutella from the jar, right?
Unfortunately I’m not sure the guilt afterwards is worth the pleasure (I know many would disagree!), but luckily I’ve got a guilt-free recipe for homemade Nutella that will give the original a run for it’s money!
And unlike the original, it’s vegan, doesn’t contain any thickeners or artificial flavouring and is actually made of hazelnuts! Ok, the original does contain hazelnuts, but would you believe only 13%?!! For realz.
Here’s the recipe, and like all my recipes you can choose to use all organic ingredients to make them even better for you!
Homemade Nutella (choc-hazelnut spread)
Makes 1 cup of spread
- 1.5 cups of raw hazelnuts
- 3 Tb of cacao powder
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of water
- Roast hazelnuts in oven at 180 degrees celcius for 10 minutes. You’ll be able to tell they’re ready as you’ll start to smell a toasty hazelnut aroma.
- Place hazelnuts in a clean tea towel and rub vigorously until all the hazelnut skins flake off and you’re left with naked nuts. (lol)
- Blend hazelnuts in a Vitamix or other high-speed blender or food processor for a few minutes until it turns into runny, hazelnut butter. This may take longer in a food processor.
- Add cacao, maple syrup and water and blend again until it turns into a smooth, dark, rich spread.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge. This homemade Nutella is delicious not only on it’s own or on toast, but it also makes a great icing for a cake!